My favorite snack bars are those with super simple ingredients. If I turn over the label of a protein bar or granola bar to find a list of ingredients as long as my blog post, I’m putting it back on the shelf. While I still buy snack bars at the grocery store, it’s always nice to have a more customizable option. With only 5 ingredients and no oven required, this one’s easy! These are gluten/dairy-free, and can easily be made vegan.
1 cup packed medjool dates, pitted
1/4 cup honey (or use agave to make vegan)
1/4 cup natural peanut or almond butter
1 cup roasted unsalted almonds, loosely chopped
1 1/2 cups rolled oats (I used gluten-free)
1. Process dates in a food processor until small bits remain. You should have a smooth, gooey consistency.
2. Mix oats, almonds, and dates in a large bowl.
3. In a separate bowl, mix honey (or agave) and nut butter, then add this to your dry mixture. Mix well so that all ingredients are evenly distributed.
4. Transfer to a baking dish lined with parchment paper (an 8×8 inch pan worked well for me, but depending on how thick or thin you want your bars, you can use a smaller or larger pan).
5. Press down firmly until uniformly flattened. The more you pack the bars, the better they will hold together. I sprinkled a few more pinches of oats on top here, just to add aesthetics.
6. Cover with parchment or plastic wrap and let firm in fridge or freezer for 15-20 minutes.
7. Remove bars from pan and chop into bars or squares. Store in an airtight container for up to a few days. I kept mine in the fridge to keep them super fresh, but it isn’t necessary.
“A house is not a home unless it contains food and fire for the mind as well as for the body.”
Subscribe to email updates using the form below: